S4TS

It's Friday night. All of your girls have gone out of town and all of your boys are hitting the town. Your alone, broke and on top of that, too tired from work to really do anything. You could watch a little television but nothings on that you haven't already seen. You could even read a really good book.. if they existed anymore. No worries though sweetheart, because Stories4theSoul has got ya covered..

8/19/2010

Brooklyn -- chapter five: the icing on the cake

Cynthia bought the huge red and white velvet cake into the dining room and slid it onto the table. Selena was turning 19 and finally graduating from high school. Cynthia had watched her daughter crumble and disappear right before her eyes 2 years prior. Selena would stay out all hours of the night then come in so drunk and disoriented that she barely remembered where she was that evening. She stopped hanging out with her friends and locked herself up in her room, for days on in. Her grades took a turn for the worst, causing her to fail and repeat her junior year. Cynthia had never seen her daughter in such dismay and did any and everything she could to help but Selena just kept pushing her away.. Cynthia looked down at the cake and smiled. It was Selena's absolute favorite. "Selena! Selena, come down here. I have something for you.." She called out. A few seconds later, Selena came down the stairs and into the dinning room. She looked at the cake and then at her mother, unimpressed. "Selena, do you know what kind of cake that is..?" Cynthia asked. "Red velvet." Selena answered. Cynthia sighed. "Mami you love red velvet. It is your favorite." She pleaded. She stared at Selena... Or this girl who was suppose to be Selena, who had fallen 30 pounds underweight, who had let her once long and beautiful hair, mat up and tangle. She was looking for signs of her daughter, but she just wasn't there. Selena didn't speak just turned to leave and go upstairs. Cynthia grabbed Selena's shoulder. "Por favor mi hija.." Selena snapped back around so quick it jilted her mother back a few inches. "Don't you start with that SHIT! Didn't I tell you to never speak that shit to me again!?" Selena warned. Cynthia was shocked at the force Selena had used against her, but not surprised. "What has happened to you Selena! Just tell me, I promise I won't be upset with you!" Cynthia cried out. Something inside of Selena was finally trying to let go, trying to give her freedom but Selena refused to watch it leave. "Upset with me!? You got some nerve ma! You don't care about me! You aint never been there for me! So don't act like you give a DAMN now!" Selena spat, tears falling down her cheeks. Cynthia had no idea where these emotions were coming from. Cynthia loved her daughter. They didn't always see eye to eye but truly, Selena had been the best thing to ever happen to her. "Selena I love you, do you understand that? You are the most precious thing in my life..." Cynthia reassured. "Oh really!?" Selena protested, wiping her tears. "Then why did you put me in that school... Huh? I was young and I was different! I wasn't like them other kids and they hated me for it! I got bullied and harassed every day! Where were you then? A-and.. Why did you put me in them fucking Salsa dance classes!?? I HATE Salsa! I kept twisting my ankle but you insisted I learn, but I didn't wanna learn! I wanted to be myself ma but that shit was never good enough for you! Where was your love then... " Selena paused and began to shake, the tears were streaming now and that thing that she was holding on too, for so long, finally released itself. "I got raped ma!" Selena yelled angrily through her tears, "where the fuck were you then...?" Cynthia's heart dropped.

For a moment there was nothing but silence in the room.Cynthia was staring at Selena so intently, Selena felt transparent. Her shame and guilt and disgust must have been clear as day to see. So she turned to walk away. "Sit down." Cynthia spat, in a tone so flat and serious, Selena had to turn around to make sure it was her mother that had even said it. Selena expected her to repeat herself but she didn't. Instead, Cynthia pulled out a chair and then sat in one herself. Selena sat across from her mother at the kitchen table. The red velvet cake was the only pleasant thing between them. Selena began to speak but Cynthia raised her hand to stop her. "There's something that I need to tell you." Selena looked at her like she was crazy. "Ma, I just told you got raped and you wanna..." "Your fathers name was Clarence James. But everyone knew him as Oak." Cynthia recalled quietly, interrupting her daughter mid-sentence. She continued, "He was as tall and as big as a tree but the real reason everyone called him Oak was because, just like an Oak tree with all those long and heavy roots, he kept the community together.. And he took care of all of us." Selena was confused but this was the first time she had ever heard her mother speak about her father. So she sat quietly -  listening and hanging on to Cynthia's every word. "When I met Oak, he was well established in the drug game. He had been a driver for an old OG by the name of Dee. When Dee had died, he passed it all down to Oak. A lot of people thought he was too young to take over Dee's cartel, so a couple of Harlem stick up boys came around this side and tried him. Oak killed them both and put both those poor boys heads outside on 21st so everyone could see..." Cynthia's voice began to shake. She cleared her throat and continued. "I loved Oak the moment I saw him. I knew he was el amor de mi vida." She smiled. "But my papa, who had just moved himself, along with your aunt Maria, your grandmother and I out to New York from Puerto Rico, wanted us to have a better life. He didn't see that happening with Oak. Or any black man for that matter." Cynthia looked up at her daughter, who was staring right at her. She touched her daughters face and caressed it. "You look just like him Selena." She said before returning to her story. "Well.. I didn't care what my father said. I wanted to be with Oak and he promised me the world and everything in it. So my father packed our things and decided to move us all back to Puerto Rico but I didn't go. I stayed here with Oak. Oak took care of me for a while. We were living the life... partying, traveling, you name it! But it didn't last long mami..." Cynthia sat up. Selena mirrored her mother and sat up too. "When the 80's rolled around, Oak like so many here in Brooklyn, got caught up in crack. I was pregnant with you by this time and in desperate need of his help. But he was so strung out. He had spent everything we had on that drug! Maldito sea ese hombre al infierno!" Cynthia cried out. "Ma!" Selena interjected. She had never heard her mother speak that way and it caught her off guard. "I'm sorry Selena.." She sighed. "But this tale get's so much more unfortunate..." Cynthia shook her head. "I was living with a shell of the man I use to know. After I had you I put all of my energy into you and some of what I could on taking care of that man. One night... he had came busting through the door - Asking me about money and what not, but I didn't have any to give. But he insisted that I needed to give him some money right then and there. I shoo'ed him off thinking he was on another one of his drug binges. At that moment, three men came through the door with guns..." Cynthia's voice trailed off. "They demanded money from him. But he told them he didn't have it. He wanted to live... so he told them to take me instead." Selena gasped in disbelief. "They took their turns with me, one after another, after another..." Selena closed her eyes. She recalled what Anthony had done to her and began to realize why her mother had told her all of this. Cynthia began to cry. "I was only 23 years old Selena. 23. And the man that I thought I loved, who I laid my entire life down for, had let strangers come in my home and violate me. I never heard from Oak again after that. Truthfully, I hope he's dead." Cynthia wiped her eyes. "I became my father after that. An old bigot. And I resented you for having even a drop of him in your veins. So yes. I put you in all white school. I made you take salsa dance classes that I knew you hated. I wanted you to be anything but him. And if that meant anything but black, than so be it." Cynthia spat. Selena stood up and placed her hands above her head... trying to process all of the information she had obtained. Cynthia stood too, waiting for her daughter to say something. "I'm sorry for what I put you through Selena. But I am only human and only a mother who loves her daughter above all. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when that terrible person put his hands on you. But I promise from this moment on, that I'll always be by your side. Can we start over Selena?" Cynthia asked. Selena didn't speak, but instead raised her head to look at her mother, eyes heavy and wet, and nodded.

No comments:

Post a Comment